Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

(routing) how to use backup networks?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
linus
Posted: Dec 19 2010, 01:03

Word Thrower

Group: Member
Member No.: 1589

I want to buy a device, in which I want to have 2 WANs and 1 LAN
this device must be a gateway of network and have security functions
I guess it should be a router, but I want to have 2 WANs and when 1st wan will be down my device should use second wan

1. What protocol do I need?
2. May I use L3 managable switches? or it should be a router?
3. What device should I buy?

DJ_Pandorra--
Posted: Dec 19 2010, 01:44

Wise Dreamer

Group: Elite Member
Member No.: 1310

Buy a PC with 3 Lan cards (Pentium 4 with 512mb ram is enough to route 50-80mbit/s of data) and install PFSense for example! Cheap and Effective! PFsense is free!

from PFsense Web-site: Outbound load balancing is used with multiple WAN connections to provide load balancing and failover capabilities. Traffic is directed to the desired gateway or load balancing pool on a per-firewall rule basis.

here's the link: http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=co...id=40&Itemid=43

--------------------
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Armcore-Project/81342079132

In Trance We Trust

linus
Posted: Dec 20 2010, 01:27

Word Thrower

Group: Member
Member No.: 1589

Ok.
But these solution is not so sutable for these situation, becouse PC will fail, this is no relable. beside in server room there is no much place to add PC. there is HP V1905 Web managed switch, but I guess with L3 function of this switch is no enough.
It would be best if use router, but I can't understand what router to take, what protocal do I need for backup internet.
and eavn don't know what brand to take. the budget is 1000$, all server room is HP, but I can't find entry level router from HP or 3Com.

any advice is?

DJ_Pandorra--
Posted: Dec 20 2010, 11:52

Wise Dreamer

Group: Elite Member
Member No.: 1310

It would be best if use router, but I can't understand what router to take

Well... In that situation You need a dual and/or multi WAN Router that supports Wan failover setup... You can take a Cisco or HP (for example Cisco RV016 as I know supports failover, but not sure. If it is, than It's a great Solution! Please Read before Buying!)

what protocal do I need for backup internet

I don't understand Your Question... You just have to configure Your Router to forward Your packets to 2-nd Wan port when 1-st will be down and/or 1-st Wan Gateway will not respond to ping... That's it....

user posted image

--------------------
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Armcore-Project/81342079132

In Trance We Trust

3 replies since Dec 19 2010, 01:03 Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

<< Back to Networking and Network Protocols

Arminco Global Telecommunications